LIS 568: Take a (Copyright Free) Picture... Your Job'll Last Longer

This week's focus on copyright and fair use has got me checking out the best copyright-free pics on the web for my various educational and professional endeavors. I'm (almost) ashamed to admit it, but I only just figured out that Google searches make it easy to filter out the pics that legally belong to others and pull out just the ones you can use freely. (In case you are as behind as me, I can tell you: in an image search, go to Settings, then Advanced Search, and at the bottom choose "Free to Use or Share." Voila!)

A Happy Reminder of Spring-- Crocuses! (Downloaded from Pixabay, much thanks to photog Michael Gaida)


But in my searches for a particularly tricky UB presentation this evening, I was introduced to Pixabay, which promises "Stunning Free Images-- Over 1.4 million royalty free stock photos and videos shared by our generous community."  Stunning-- and diverse-- they most certainly are! There is something to say for finding photos or graphic representations that complement the messages you are trying to send perfectly, and not feeling as though you may be stepping on toes. I love that these are photographs or images created by people who do not demand to be paid, but who gently ask that you might, if you are feeling munificent, you can offer to buy the artist, photographer, or filmmaker a cup of coffee, and "purchase" the image for whatever you feel it is worth.

Comments

Popular Posts